Recognised as one of the fastest growing Companies in the UK, it’s a really exciting time to be joining END. If you’re positive, passionate and dedicated and want to be part of our future success this could be the role for you.
HEAD OF ENGINEERING - FULL TIME, LONDON
Over the last 15 years, END. has evolved into a technology led retailer that provides luxury and contemporary apparel and exclusive sneaker drops to a global audience. One of the most influential, forward-thinking and inspirational fashion companies in the world, we have fresh products hitting our website daily and our service never stops.
END. prides itself on delivering a first-class customer experience, which has underpinned our success. With over 2 million customers we deliver to over 80 countries around the world and our online business is complimented by our industry leading retail stores in Newcastle, Glasgow, Manchester, London and Milan.
As part of our continued drive to align Technology as closely to the business as possible, we are seeking an individual to fill an open Head of Engineering vacancy leading END. Engineering team. We’re a forward thinking, smart and stylish team who build and maintain END. website and mobile applications.
You must have a strong background in leading high performing agile teams and will have previously held responsibility for system availability, budgeting and personnel. You must be passionate and experienced in driving continuous improvements across multiple delivery teams.
This is a critical leadership role in the company and you will be responsible for the delivery of business objectives as well as the Technology strategy, performance and standards that form a crucial part of meeting those objectives. A key responsibility will be to create, and lead, strong successful technical teams and to ensure that they are as empowered and effective as possible. Our agile working approach allows us to collaborate face-to-face or remotely, but time in our office is to be expected.
What you’ll be doing:
- Facilitates not dictates; removes barriers so teams excel
- Ensures that the teams are internally coherent and focused on delivery of the technical solutions that will achieve the goals of the business
- Sets goals and objectives for engineering team members and conducts performance appraisals of direct reports team members
- Prepares a rotating roster for engineering support throughout the year
- Creates an environment whereby your teams have the space to be creative, to challenge and to push boundaries
- Engages in conflict resolution with people, process and technology
- Engages in hiring, retention, training and development, and people engagement events
- Ensures all relevant engineering artifacts are maintained, cross-training and knowledge sharing is planned and executed
- Accountable for representing the tech pillar and for all technologies delivered within your domain
- Aligns and delivers the business and technology strategies for a domain, whilst contributing to the wider technology strategy
- Reviews overall release plans, overall release level engineering effort estimates, and provide input to programme release plans
- Accountable for resource needs, capability utilisation, metrics and engineering deliverables, as defined in goals and objectives
- Is an active ambassador for END, especially to maintain/enhance our technical reputation and employer brand
- Promotes and supports best practice through discipline led and other cross domain communities
What you’ll be able to demonstrate:
Skills and experience
- A collaborative, open and passionate working style with team empowerment at its heart
- Passionate about technology with a keen awareness of current IT trends and the ability to see the potential application of new technologies to drive business value
- A track record of successful delivery of scalable web applications and iOS/Android platforms, meeting the key business objectives in a robust, scalable, cost effective manner
- Solid experience across all aspects of technology including Software Delivery, Operations, UX and infrastructure and architecture
- Proven ability to independently lead, organize and deliver commitments on time and within budget, and to work in a team within a fast pace environment
- Excellent people management; able to manage equally effectively in times of adversity or under pressure
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, for diverse audiences ranging from junior colleagues to Executive level
- Team player who can work with people of all levels, disciplines, and backgrounds
- Ability to effectively convey technical concepts, and the implications, to non-technical colleagues
- Proven ability to influence change within the business and across IT
- Able to make the right decisions under pressure, especially in messy, real life crises, where none of the available options are attractive
- Experience of defining and managing the scope of projects
What will set you apart?
- Your ability to balance a high level of innovative change with the operational need to deliver excellent uptime and performance.
- Your experience in a leadership role, not just in Software Delivery, but of a wider IT function, ideally focussed on supporting business critical online services such as orders, payments and transactions for an Ecommerce, online gaming or similar B2C company
- Your demonstrable use of both your technical knowledge and commercial acumen to influence business strategy at an Executive level.
- Your long-term vision to maintain and improve the flexibility and nimbleness of your teams, and to explain and balance the short term needs of the business with your long
- Your focus on being the best you can be, and showing tenacity in the face of obstacles, whether that involves moving mountains to enable your team to become more effective or challenging the status quo
- You maintain your effectiveness as a leader under changing conditions, high paced pressure situations. You are able to adapt your style as required, and maintain swift, robust decision making
What we can offer you
- 34 days holiday (including bank holidays and birthday)
- Company pension scheme
- Generous staff discount
- Hybrid working
- Opportunities for professional development and career progression
- Access to our personalised benefits platform
- Healthcare Cash Plan
Our core values underpin everything we do as a business. We always put our customers first, are passionate and dedicated and strive for excellence. To achieve this, we are positive and collaborative and keep it simple.
If you have what it takes to be part of our future success, we want to hear from you.
Please note - for the successful candidate, any employment is conditional on you having the right to work in the UK in the role in which you are employed.
Type of employment: Permanent, full-time